- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“It’s been a long night and the mirror is tellin’ me to go home/ But it’s been a long time since I’ve felt this good on my own/ Nine years went by with my hands tied up in your ropes/ Forever and ever, no more,” Cyrus belted while donning a retro shot haircut and black sequin dress.
The performance was a sharp contrast to her more memorable VMAs appearances, such as 2013’s “We Can’t Stop” with Robin Thicke. The singer was solo on a stage that lit up one color at a time, from vibrant red to blue to all white. The singer paid homage to the 2013 music video for her Bangerz hit “Wrecking Ball” by sitting atop a disco ball.
The singer was nominated this year for best art direction and best editing for “Mother’s Daughter,” and song of the summer for “Midnight Sky.” She has a total of 14 career nominations and won video of the year in 2014 for “Wrecking Ball.”
Cyrus previously hosted the VMAs back in 2015 and debuted her single “Slide Away” last year.
The 2020 VMAs aired live on Sunday, Aug. 30 with The Weeknd and Lady Gaga racking up the most wins of the night.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day