- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
One of Gru’s yellow companions was on the loose in Ireland Monday afternoon.
According to local reports, the 30-foot-tall inflatable balloon of the Minions character that had been put up at a nearby fair was shaken from its post due to strong winds and tumbled onto a busy traffic road in Dublin.
Though no injuries were reported, the incident has been brought to the City Council’s planning enforcement department to verify if the massive balloon was set in place following proper health and safety regulations.
City councilor Paul McAuliffe told The Irish Times that though the escaped minion may be a cause for laughs to some people, its landing on Dublin’s busy Swords Road could have resulted in a severe traffic accident.
“I don’t want to sound like a killjoy, but if that had landed on a cyclist, for instance, it could have been serious,” he said. “If you take the Minion part of it out, if this was a large inflatable weather balloon that had not been properly tethered, there would be no humor in this story at all.”
He added, “It seems like one of those innocent ‘silly season’ stories, but I am very concerned that such a large object was allowed escape onto a busy main road. There could have been far more serious consequences.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day