- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
CANNES – Canadian broadcaster Shaw Media has acquired the Syfy series Defiance for its Showcase channel.
The deal with NBCUniversal Television Canada comes ahead of the hybrid TV and digital property, which is shot in Toronto, bowing north of the border in 2013.
Shaw Media already found ratings with Continuum, as it broadens out into sci-fi with homegrown series like Lost Girl from Prodigy Pictures.
“We are thrilled that Defiance, an exciting and innovative new drama, will be available to viewers in Canada,” Ron Suter, executive vp and general manager of NBCUniversal Television Canada, said Tuesday.
Defiance stars Grant Bowler, Julie Benz, Stephanie Leonidas, Tony Curran, Jaime Murray, Graham Greene and Mia Kirshner.
The series from Universal Cable Productions is executive produced by Kevin Murphy and Michael Taylor.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day