- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Cold War-set series will air on Sundance Channel starting in June. It’s the first German-language series to air in the U.S.
The show was also recently picked up across the Nordic territories, including Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Iceland.
It was produced by FremantleMedia-owned UFA Fiction, which also created the International Emmy-winning hit Generation War.
Penned by American Anna Winger, Deutschland 83 is told through the eyes of a young East German soldier sent to spy in the West at the height of the Cold War. He struggles to reconcile the differing ideologies between the two sides while dealing with personal struggles. The New Wave soundtrack of the time is also central to the eight-episode limited series.
The series premiered to strong reviews at this year’s Berlin Film Fest, and will next screen as part of the Series Mania TV festival in Paris next week.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day