- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Mitt Romney wants Iowa voters to know that he’s hip to popular culture.
Just shy of the Jan. 2 caucus that will bring the G.O.P. one step closer to finding its 2012 presidential nominee, Romney compared President Barack Obama to Kim Kardashian.
The Hill reports that the former Massachusetts governor was speaking to supporters in Council Bluffs, Iowa, when he suddenly brought up the reality star’s 2011 televised wedding.
“I’ve been looking at some video clips on YouTube of President Obama, then candidate Obama, going through Iowa making promises,” he said. “I think the gap between his promises and his performance is the largest I’ve seen, well, since the Kardashian wedding and the promise of ‘til death do we part.”
Kardashian, after all, filed for divorce after only 72 days of marriage with Kris Humphries, prompting laughter from the crowd.
Romney, not typically known for his pop references, has name-checked I Love Lucy and Twilight in the last year. His hesitancy might have something to do with his unsuccessful presidential bid in 2008, which saw him take a lot of mocking after quoting the song “Who Let the Dogs Out?”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day