- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Buenos Aires — The Latin American debut of Disney/Pixar’s Monsters University marked the studio’s biggest opening for the region, grossing $31.7 million.
The Monsters, Inc. prequel opened last weekend in Latin America, and placed itself at the top of Disney/Pixar releases in Colombia, Venezuela, Chile, Peru, Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay and Argentina.
The film also topped the studio’s debut mark in Central America, and placed itself behind the Toy Story 3 and Cars 2 openings in Brazil and Mexico.
In Argentina, attendance for Monsters University climbed to the top and broke both box-office and ticket-sale records for a debut with more than 802,000 tickets sold in a four-day weekend that turned out to be one of the strongest in local history, with approximately 1.6 million people attending cinemas, according to numbers by Ultracine and Rentrak.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day