- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
HONG KONG — Pixar’s Monsters University opened to a new box office record in Hong Kong on Thursday.
The prequel to 2001’s Monsters Inc. took $650,000 (HK$5 million) on its first day of release in the territory, according to the Hong Kong Theatres Association and the Hong Kong Motion Pictures Industry Association.
It is the highest opening ever for an animated feature film in Hong Kong, ahead of Toy Story 3, which grossed HK$4.98 million on its first day in 2010. In third place is Shrek Forever After, which took HK$4.7 million, also in 2010.
The animation, featuring the voices of Billy Crystal and John Goodman, also broke into the top 10 highest grossing openings of all time, at ninth place. The biggest opening of all time in Hong Kong belongs to Spider-Man 3, which raked in HK$7.56 million on its opening day in May, 2007.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day