- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Yasiin Bey, the performer known as Mos Def, has joined the cat of Can A Song Save Your Life? the music-themed drama from Once film writer-director John Carney.
The movie, now in production, stars Keira Knightley, Mark Ruffalo, and Hailee Steinfeld. It follows Knightley’s character who moves to New York to pursue her dreams of a singing career but finds herself all alone when she’s dumped by her boyfriend (Levine). A down-on-his-luck record producer (Ruffalo) finds her singing in a local bar, and the two realize they may be each other’s last chance to turn their lives around.
Bey portrays Ruffalo’s longtime business partner in the recording industry.
Likely Story’s Anthony Bregman is producing the film along with Exclusive’s Tobin Armbrust. Judd Apatow is exec producing.
Bey made his name as a hip-hop artist but later branched out into acting. Among his credits are roles in The Italian Job and Something the Lord Made, for which he received Emmy and Golden Globe nominations. He also had a recent stint on Showtime’s Dexter.
Bey is repped by Brookside Artist Management.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day