- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Lady Gaga opened the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards as her alter ego Jo Calderone. Dressed in black Brooks Brothers pants, white t-shirt, black jacket and smoking a cigarette, the singer did a spoken word routine for several minutes before even singing a note, talking mostly about Lady Gaga.
With facial hair drawn on her face, she said of Gaga, “She gets out of bed, puts on heels, she comes out of the bathroom dripping wet, she still has the heels on. And what’s with the hair?”
The audience appeared that it didn’t know what to make of the Jo Calderone routine: Britney Spears watched with mouth agape, Katie Holmes stared with amused confusion, and Justin Bieber, wearing glasses, had a blank expression on his face as Gaga/Calderon carried on.
Gaga eventually took to the piano and segued into a dance routine for “You and I.”
She opened what appeared to be a beer, took a swig and shook it on the crowd. She then introduced Queen guitarist Brian May for a guitar solo, which Dave Grohl stood up and cheered for.
After the performance, comedian Kevin Hart took the stage and called Gaga’s routine “a little weird.”
Jo Calderone, supposedly a mechanic from Sicily, first appeared on the September 2010 cover of Japanese Men’s Vogue.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day