- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Parker will helm Black & Blue, a drama about Los Angeles Police Department hero Ralph Waddy, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. The pic is his first feature since Birth of a Nation, which was a critical hit during its debut at Sundance, only to garner negative attention due to Parker’s involvement in a 1999 rape case and the suicide of the woman who alleged Parker and Birth of a Nation co-writer Jean Celestin assaulted her.
Parker stepped back from the spotlight after the November 2016 release by Fox Searchlight of his directorial debut. Parker will helm Black & Blue after rewriting a script by Jim McGrath. That follows Form B Entertainment optioning Waddy’s life rights.
Waddy worked on a number of high-profile crime cases during a racially charged period in Los Angeles, including the Watts riots.
Steven Jensen, Darren Enenstein, Shondrella Avery, Adam R. Sanders and Lenny Rosenberg will share producer credits on Black & Blue.
Parker is repped by CAA and Anonymous Content.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day