- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Elysium director Neill Blomkamp‘s next film, Chappie, has been slated for release on March 27, 2015.
Sony Pictures Entertainment and MRC are co-producing and co-financing the pic, which will begin production in the fall.
Blomkamp will direct the film from a screenplay he co-wrote with Terri Tatchell. He’ll also produce with Simon Kinberg.
Chappie is about a robot with artificial intelligence who is stolen by local gangsters. Sharlto Copley will voice Chappie, while the two gangsters will be voiced by rappers Ninja and Yolandi Visser.
Fox’s animated pic The Penguins of Madagascar is also currently slated for release on March 27, 2015.
Blomkamp’s second feature, Elysium, which stars Matt Damon and Jodie Foster, hit theaters this summer. Elysium opened at No. 1 in the U.S. and also held the top spot in Russia, Sweden, Taiwan and Ukraine. Blomkamp wrote, directed and produced Elysium.
Blomkamp’s first feature film, District 9, was also released by Sony and took in more than $200 million worldwide and earned four Oscar nominations, including best picture.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day