- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
NEW YORK – Mercedes-Benz USA CEO Steve Cannon unveiled the Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe, the high-performance version of the new S-class coupe, at the New York International Auto Show Wednesday alongside the brand’s unmistakable baritone voiceover provider Jon Hamm.
“I finally get to do one of these unveils,” interrupted the Mad Men actor for scripted comedic effect — alluding to the luxury carmaker’s penchant for hiring TV actors to pimp their rides at auto shows — as he and Cannon pulled off a satin sheet to reveal the coupe.
With AMG tuning, the S63 has a bi-turbo V8 and 4MATIC all-wheel drive, plus an even more aggressive side profile and snout rendered in weigh-saving aluminum and an interior liberally upholstered with Napa leather embossed with the AMG logo.
Cannon said Mercedes had its best first quarter ever; sales of the new S-Class sedan are up 75 percent over its predecessor. He added that Mercedes will introduce 30 new models over the next seven years.
Referring to the S63, Hamm, dressed in a Mad Men-like gray suit, said that, “If we were still shooting, I’d insist Don Draper drive one of these.”
Priced at around $50,000, the S63 Coupe will hit U.S. showrooms in fall 2014.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day