- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Zoe Saldana-starring Nina Simone biopic Nina finally released its first trailer on Wednesday, and Simone’s family is predictably not happy about it.
On Twitter, Simone’s family replied to a tweet from Saldana that quoted Simone, saying, “Cool story but please take Nina’s name out your mouth. For the rest of your life.”
.@zoesaldana Cool story but please take Nina’s name out your mouth. For the rest of your life.
— Nina Simone (@NinaSimoneMusic) March 3, 2016
Earlier, Simone’s Facebook page shared a fan’s suggestion to appropriate Nina‘s April 22 release date as a day for fans to host their own Nina Simone listening and viewing parties.
“We can use this date as another opportunity to celebrate Nina’s life and music. Let’s create a positive from a negative by coming together and acknowledging the authentic Nina Simone,” the post read. “Nothing can diminish Nina or her legacy. No one can rob Nina of her gift — or rob us of the gift she shared with us.”
In light of today’s announcement, I encourage fans and eligible venues to host their own NINA SIMONE listening/viewing…
Posted by Nina Simone on Tuesday, March 1, 2016
This article originally appeared on Billboard.com.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day