- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
At press time, bids for Bennett’s portrayal of Gaga lying on her stomach naked and smoking a cigarette were approaching $7,000. Proceeds from the sale will go to Exploring the Arts (ETA). Bennett co-founded the nonprofit organization in 1999 to help fund art programs in public schools.
Consider this an early sneak peek at the series of works, which are scheduled to run in an issue of Vanity Fair next year. The magazine’s famed photographer Annie Leibovitz came up with the idea for the artwork.
Judging from Gaga’s usual wardrobe, the singer is very confident about her body. But, she did express some discomfort about posing for Bennett.
“I walked in and said, ‘Well Tony, here we are’ and I dropped my robe and I got into position,” the singer said on her Thanksgiving special, A Very Gaga Thanksgiving. “I felt shy and thought, ‘It’s Tony Bennett, why am I naked?’ “
The auction ends on Dec. 19. So get your bids in, art lovers.
Email: Jethro.Nededog@thr.com; Twitter: @TheRealJethro
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day