- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Yearning for the Bad Boy early days of director Michael Bay? Welcome to Miami.
After years of CGI-filled Transformers bonanzas, the director is returning to his non-robot action roots with Pain & Gain, a gritty true story about weightlifters who get mixed up in steroids, crime and a hard partying lifestyle. Starring Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne Johnson, along with Anthony Mackie, Ed Harris and Tony Shalhoub, the film tells the tale of the Sun Gym Gang, which used kidnapping and extortion in a get-rich plot that went very awry.
Wahlberg — who will team again with Bay on Transformers 4 — plays Daniel Lugo, who in real life was sentenced to death for the crimes. Johnson and Mackie play fellow plotting weightlifters, while Shalhoub is the rich crook they rip off and Harris is the private detective out to even the score.
The film hits theaters in April.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day