- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Patrick Stewart is a medical marijuana user and now an advocate.
The Star Trek and X-Men star made the revelation during a recent interview with the U.K.’s The Telegraph, in which he said he used cannabis daily to help combat the symptoms of severe arthritis. Stewart also condoned the use of medical marijuana as the U.K. explores benefits of cannabis-based medicines.
“Two years ago, in Los Angeles, I was examined by a doctor and given a note which gave me legal permission to purchase, from a registered outlet, cannabis-based products, which I was advised might help the ortho-arthritis in both my hands,” the 76-year-old actor told the The Telegraph.
“As a result of this experience, I enthusiastically support the Oxford University Cannabis Research Plan,” he told the paper of the school’s cannabinoid biomedicine research program. “This is an important step forward for Britain in a field of research that has, for too long, been held back by prejudice, fear and ignorance.”
California has had a medical marijuana law on the books since 1996. Last year, voters passed Proposition 64, allowing for legal recreational use of marijuana.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day