- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Armando Iannucci’s The Personal History of David Copperfield, starring Dev Patel, hopes to spin a tale of success at the summer box office.
Fox Searchlight said Monday it will release the pic May 8, 2020, in select theaters.
The studio picked up rights to the film in August before it premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in September. David Copperfield, the third feature from Iannucci (Veep), is his take on the Charles Dickens classic and also stars Tilda Swinton, Hugh Laurie, Peter Capaldi and Ben Whishaw.
Adapted by Iannucci alongside frequent collaborator Simon Blackwell, the comedic tale centers on one of Dickens’ most cherished characters: the good-hearted David Copperfield, who is surrounded by kindness, wickedness, poverty and wealth as he meets an array of remarkable characters in Victorian England. David sets out to be a writer in his quest for family, friendship, romance and status as the story of his life unfolds.
The Personal History of David Copperfield was produced by Iannucci and Kevin Loader and was financed by FilmNation Entertainment and Film4.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day