- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Pharrell Williams entertained audiences at the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards with a performance of his hit “Freedom” on Sunday night.
The singer took to the stage, backed by dancers wearing red, white and blue gear, and addressed the audience with an inspiring message. “They tried to put us in a box. They tried to categorize us,” he said. “Tonight, we change things. We will express ourselves and let all of that go.”
He then began singing the lyrics to the song, facing a crowd of people holding proudly waving flags in the air.
The MTV VMAs, hosted by Miley Cyrus, took place at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
More from The Hollywood Reporter
Prince Harry Says Thought of Piers Morgan Listening to Princess Diana’s Private Messages Makes Him “Physically Sick”
Prince Harry a No-Show on First Day of London Tabloid Trial, Set to Become First Royal to Testify in 130 Years
Tyler James Williams
Tyler James Williams Warns of the Danger of Speculating About Someone’s Sexuality