- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Quick Pitch: Ernesto Uchimura, Umami Burger’s former executive chef, takes another pass at tweaking simple American-fare classics — a baked crab dip with masago, a burger with sugarcoated bacon—along the otherwise noodle- and sushi-strewn Sawtelle strip. The beers are microbrew, the floats are nostalgic and the deft cocktail list (try the Bento Box: Brugal Rum, Licor 43, Nigori sake and bitters) comes courtesy of consulting barmen Steve Livigni and Pablo Moix.
PHOTOS: 22 Celebrity-Owned Restaurants Hits and Misses
The Insider’s Dish: Owner Terry Heller, now a real estate developer, began his career as a music video director. His debut was Bone Thugs-N-Harmony’s “Thuggish Ruggish Bone.” Other credits included work for Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, Heavy D and India Arie.
The Must-Order Item: Boneless Jidori fried chicken with smoked milk gravy, spicy pickled okra and yam preserves.
The Best Table: Any of the patio seats under the heat lamps.
The Industry Neighbors: Morgan Creek Productions and management firm Kritzer Levine Wilkins Griffin Entertainment
1800 Sawtelle Blvd., L.A., 310.288.6500, plancheckbar.com
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day