- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Surreal internet sensation Poppy has already appeared in short films, released three albums, published a book of wisdom (2017’s The Gospel of Poppy) and even became part of Sanrio’s Hello Sanrio product line. The next step is clear: It’s time to conquer comics.
Genesis 1, to be published this summer by Z2 Comics, will be the first Poppy-produced comic book, offering the previously unknown origin story behind the mysterious figure. The graphic novel will be co-written by Poppy and longtime collaborator Titanic Sinclair, along with Ryan Cady, with art by Masa Minoura and Ian McGinty.
Promotional text for the project is suitably cryptic: “Is she a girl? Is she a machine? Is she humanity’s redemption, or its damnation? Don’t be scared — either way, she is Poppy… and you love Poppy,” it teases.
As with other Z2 releases, the graphic novel will be accompanied by a soundtrack of exclusive music. Additionally, a limited-edition version of Genesis 1, already available for pre-order, will feature a free print and vinyl signed by Poppy, as well as an oversized hardcover with slipcase. Five hundred copies will be made available.
The 168-page hardcover is set to be released in July.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day