- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Priyanka Chopra is set to star in the Amazon Studios drama Sheela, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
She will be playing Ma Anand Sheela, a spiritual adviser and the primary perpetrator of the 1984 Rajneeshee bioterror attack in Oregon.
Made famous by the Netflix docuseries Wild, Wild Country, Sheela was the personal secretary of Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh from 1981-1985 and she managed the Rajneeshpuram ashram in Wasco County, Oregon. It was there that she led the infecting of salad bars at 10 local restaurants with salmonella, which led to the food poisoning of 751 individuals. The incident was the largest bioterrorist attack in U.S. history.
Rain Man director Barry Levinson will helm Sheela, which was written by Nick Yarborough.
Levinson will also produce via his Baltimore Pictures, along Permut Presentations’ David Permut, Jason Sosnoff and Chopra via her Purple Pebble banner.
Chopra, repped by UTA, is set to appear in the new Matrix film at Warner Bros. and Robert Rodriguez’s Netflix movie We Can Be Heroes.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day