- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Diane Nelson, head of operations at Quibi, is exiting, the latest in a string of high-profile departures ahead of the mobile video company’s 2020 launch.
“Diane Nelson has been a valued member of the team, helping us build a strong organization full of exceptional people. We wish her well and support her as she focuses on other priorities, and thank her for her many contributions to Quibi,” Jeffrey Katzenberg confirmed in a statement Tuesday to The Hollywood Reporter.
Landing Nelson was a coup for Quibi given her 22 years at Warner Bros., where she left a significant footprint on the direction of the DC universe and its expansion beyond the core films like Justice League, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Nelson wrote in a note to staff that she departed Quibi for family reasons. “When I left Warner Bros. last year after over two strong decades of work there, I made a commitment to prioritize several key aspects of my life — most importantly my family and friends,” reads the note, parts of which were shared with THR. “Unfortunately, that commitment was tested a bit sooner and more urgently than I might have liked.” She added, “I will be taking the next few months to make sure the people I love are well and settled and then will turn my attention to my next chapter of life.”
Her exit from the company follows a string of executive departures, including Janice Min, who was set to lead a slate of daily news shows called Daily Essentials until she departed in September, and Tim Connolly, the former head of partnerships and distribution who left in August.
Quibi, which is run by CEO Meg Whitman in conjunction with Katzenberg, is targeting an April 6 launch date for its mobile video app, which will offer up highly produced shortform video programming from creative talent including Steven Spielberg, Antoine Fuqua and Guillermo del Toro. Quibi is expected to have two pricing tiers — an $8-per-month ad-free offering and a $5-per-month ad-supported offering. Katzenberg and Whitman have raised around $1 billion from investors such as Alibaba and Liberty Global for the venture and struck advertising deals with several companies, including PepsiCo, Walmart and Google. The company also has an exclusive distribution deal with T-Mobile.
NBC’s Dylan Byers first reported on Nelson’s departure.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
More from The Hollywood Reporter
Jonathan Majors Arrested for Alleged Assault, Rep Says Actor “Has Done Nothing Wrong”
The Woman King
Gina Prince-Bythewood to Be Honored at Black Business Association Salute to Black Women Event
Jeremy Renner Says Snowplow Involved in New Year’s Day Accident Is “Finally Making Her Way Back Home”