- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Pop-rock band R5 has been named Radio Disney’s Next Big Thing, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
R5 consists of siblings Ross Lynch, Riker Lynch, Rocky Lynch, Rydel Lynch and friend Ellington Ratliff. The announcement comes ahead of the release of R5’s full-length album, Louder, which hits stores Sept. 24 via Hollywood Records.
From Sept. 16-20 at 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET, a preview of new songs from Louder will take place as part of N.B.T.‘s showcase of R5.
Disney Channel will also premiere a new interstitial series, Radio Disney Presents: R5 on R5 beginning Sept. 17, which chronicles the band’s journey this past summer from sold-out shows to preparation for its album release.
Since forming in 2009, the Los Angeles-based band has seen increased exposure through some of the members’ small-screen efforts: Ross Lynch stars in Disney Channel’s Austin & Ally and toplined the successful Teen Beach Movie , while Riker Lynch has appeared as a Warbler on Fox’s Glee. The band self-released the Ready Set Rock EP in 2010, before signing to Hollywood Records and releasing the Loud EP in February.
R5 hits the road this fall starting Oct. 26 in Dallas in support of Louder.
Since its inception in 2009, N.B.T. has launched the careers of Allstar Weekend, Coco Jones and Kicking Daisies, among others. This year, R5 joins X Factor finalists Fifth Harmony on the roster.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day