- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Raymond Allen, who portrayed Uncle Woody on Sanford and Son, died Monday, his daughter announced. He was 91.
“Just wanted to let The Allen Family and friends know that Dad received his wing two hours ago,” Ta Ronce Allen wrote on Facebook. “His warmth, kind heart and clever sayings will be missed. His laughter will ring in heaven.”
He had been living in a California health care facility since 2016, TMZ reported.
Allen appeared as Woodrow “Woody” Anderson — married to LaWanda Page’s Aunt Esther — on 11 episodes of NBC’s Sanford and Son from 1974-77. Concurrently, he showed up as Ned the Wino on the CBS comedy Good Times and as Merl the Earl, owner of a body shop, on the ABC crime drama Starsky and Hutch.
A native of Kansas City, Missouri, Allen also worked on episodes of What’s Happening!!, The Love Boat and The Jeffersons.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day