- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Relocating from Los Angeles to Toronto, Asch will become senior vp and general manager at Shomi, a joint venture between Canadian media giants Shaw Media and Rogers Media. Asch was most recently senior vp content at Redbox Automated Retail, where he oversaw content development, licensing, and acquisitions for the U.S. DVD renter.
Shomi has already done licensing deals with NBCUniversal, Disney/ABC, Warner Bros. 20th Century Fox and Starz Digital Media for the SVOD rights to popular U.S. network series. That’s handed the streamer the Canadian exclusive rights to series like Transparent, Betas and Mozart in the Jungle, as well as catch-up viewing rights to series including Sons of Anarchy, The Americans and Vikings.
Asch’s hire also comes ahead of Shomi expanding beyond its current beta testing phase, available only to Shaw and Rogers cable and Internet customers to discourage cord-cutting. “I look forward to building on Shomi’s early success and making the brand a must-see, must-have service,” Asch said Tuesday in a statement.
Before Redbox, he held executive positions at In Demand Networks and Frontier Communications.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Representation in Hollywood