- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Bridget Jones star Renee Zellweger is set to play Judy Garland in Judy, based on the true story of the stage and screen icon’s final concerts in London.
Pathe and Calamity Films are backing the project, based on a script by Tom Edge (The Crown, Lovesick) and to be directed by Tony nominee and two-time Olivier winner Rupert Goold, with production set to start February 2018. BAFTA winner David Livingstone (Pride) will produce for Calamity Films.
Judy will chronicle Garland’s arrival in swinging 1968 London to perform in a series of sellout shows. It has been 30 years since “the world’s greatest entertainer” shot to global fame in The Wizard of Oz and as she prepares for the concerts, she battles with management, charms musicians and reminisces with friends and adoring fans, while also embarking on a courtship with Mickey Dean, her soon-to-be fifth husband. Yet Garland is also fragile, and having spent 45 of her 47 years working, is haunted by memories of a childhood lost to Hollywood and a desire to be back home with her kids.
Pathe will distribute Judy in the U.K., France and Switzerland and will handle sales throughout the rest of the world.
Zellweger is repped by her manager John Carrabino and Peter Levine at CAA.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day