- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Katie Couric is in early talks on a new contract with CBS Corp. that could see the CBS Evening News anchor take a pay cut while expanding her role at the company, Bloomberg reported, citing anonymous sources.
The network began meeting with Couric’s agent at CAA early this month, according to Bloomberg, which reported that both parties have agreed that Couric must take a pay cut to remain at CBS, whose evening news lags behind NBC and ABC in the ratings with a nightly average of 5.7 million viewers.
In addition, viewership for CBS’ news program has dropped by 24% from when Couric took over in 2006, a bigger drop than both NBC and ABC have experienced during that same period.
It’s not clear what Couric’s expanded role at the company might entail; she currently takes assignments for CBS’ “60 Minutes” in addition to her Evening News duties.
“Katie is enjoying herself at CBS and is proud of her award-winning show,” her spokesman told Bloomberg. A CBS spokesman declined to comment.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day