- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
As of Wednesday, it has grossed 1.1 billion rubles ($14.6 million), Fox said.
The previous record for an 18+ rated movie was set by Fifty Shades of Grey, which was released in February of last year and grossed $12.3 million.
Debuting in Russian theaters on Jan. 7, Alejandro G. Inarritu’s survival thriller was already the first movie to gross over one billion rubles and is, to date, the year’s highest-grossing movie.
On the list of all-time highest-grossing movies with an 18+ age restriction, The Revenant and Fifty Shades of Grey are followed by Lucy, which was released in September 2014 and grossed $10 million.
The record for a highest-grossing 18+ rated local movie has stayed unbroken since January 2008, when Kirill Kuzin’s Samy Luchshy Film (The Best Movie Ever) was released and grossed $8.9 million.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day