- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
In a new trailer for Sony’s Aug. 7 release of Ricki and the Flash, audiences watch Meryl Streep as a hard rock musician who returns home and gets a shot at redemption with her family.
Streep stars as Ricki Rendazzo, a musician who strives to mend the mistakes she made with her family on her road to stardom. Mamie Gummer, Streep’s real-life daughter, stars opposite the Oscar-winning actress as Ricki’s daughter, Julie.
Ricki stays in the home of her ex-husband and his second wife, Maureen, to support her daughter, whose husband has left her for another woman.
“She’s gonna be alright. She’s always been a fighter,” Ricki tells Maureen, who then replies, “Well, she’s had to be,” referencing Ricki’s absence.
Upon her return home, Ricki surprisingly finds out that her son, Josh, is engaged, but chose not to tell her because he didn’t want to invite her to the wedding.
“I’ve missed so much,” Ricki says in the trailer, before later dedicating an emotional speech to her children: “I was never a traditional mom, but I am a musician, and I’d like to give all I have to you.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day