- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Former Beatles drummer Ringo Starr on Wednesday announced he has canceled a summer tour date in North Carolina in protest over the state’s recently passed anti-gay legislation.
“I’m sorry to disappoint my fans in the area, but we need to take a stand against this hatred,” Starr said in a statement. “Spread peace and love.”
Starr was slated to play Cary, N.C., on June 18.
The 75-year-old iconic musician joins a growing number of those in the music and movie industry who are boycotting the state over House Bill 2, which was signed into law last month by Republican Gov. Pat McCrory.
The controversial legislation prevents in-state municipalities from passing their own anti-discrimination regulations. It also prevents transgender individuals from using the bathroom for the sex with which they identify.
The situation bothers Starr, he said.
“How sad that they feel that this group of people cannot be defended,” Starr said in his statement.
Bruce Springsteen, mentioned by Starr in his cancelation announcement, also took a stand against the new state law, canceling a concert that was set to take place last weekend.
“To my mind, it’s an attempt by people who cannot stand the progress our country has made in recognizing the human rights of all of our citizens to overturn that progress,” Springsteen said when he canceled his show.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day