- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
De Niro worked with the duo on 2012’s Silver Linings Playbook, which netted the actor an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor. He also made a cameo appearance in American Hustle.
The movie’s casting is heating up at it’s gearing up for a shooting start in early February. De Niro’s involvement is contingent on Lawrence’s deal closing.
Russell is rewriting the script by Bridesmaids writer Annie Mumolo to tell the story of Mangano’s transformation from a single mother in Long Island to a QVC star.
Mangano (being portrayed by Lawrence) is a fixture on the Home Shopping Network with her many inventions, though the mop was her ticket to fame and fortune. She began her inventing as a teen and kept on dreaming and tinkering while still a single mom raising three kids.
De Niro would play Mangano’s father.
John Davis and John Fox are producing via Fox-based Davis Entertainment. Ken Mok is also producing.
De Niro is due to shoot Dirty Grandpa in January then will segue to Joy. He is repped by CAA.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day