- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Rose McGowan, who helped incite the #MeToo movement after coming forward to accuse Harvey Weinstein of rape, is responding to revelations in the new book from the The New York Times journalists who broke the Weinstein story, She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement (which hits stores Sept. 10).
Namely, McGowan is responding to the information that authors Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey have exposed about onetime Weinstein attorney Lisa Bloom.
“The evil that was perpetrated on me and others was mind bending and illegal. Lisa Bloom should be disbarred,” McGowan wrote on Sunday in response to an excerpt shared on Twitter.
She Said, which also includes accounts from previously unknown sources, publishes previously undisclosed corporate records, emails and text messages from people who enabled Harvey Weinstein’s behavior or were a part of his team. Noted feminist and civil rights attorney Bloom, daughter to feminist attorney Gloria Allred, is quoted in an alleged letter discussing ways to undermine first accusers Ashley Judd and McGowan.
“I feel equipped to help you against the Roses of the world, because I have represented so many of them,” says Bloom, who rose to prominence as a victims’ rights attorney, about McGowan in a 2016 memo. “We can place an article re her becoming increasingly unglued, so that when someone Googles her this is what pops up and she’s discredited.”
Bloom, the book reveals, worked for Weinstein at the rate of $895 an hour to help the then-embattled Hollywood producer combat allegations from accusers. She Said includes memos from both Bloom and another member of Weinstein’s legal team, attorney David Boies. Boies, who helped Weinstein execute a contract with Israeli private investigations firm Black Cube to silence accusers and journalists (a story later broken by Ronan Farrow in the New Yorker on Weinstein’s “Army of Spies“), is quoted in She Said discussing with Weinstein potential film roles for his aspiring actress daughter. (Boies declined comment to THR.)
McGowan, who was the first person interviewed off record for the Times‘ and New Yorker Weinstein exposés in October 2017, has long spoken publicly about the intimidating tactics she believed Weinstein employed, including being targeted by private investigators and blacklisted in Hollywood. McGowan, who accused Weinstein of raping her in 1997 (an allegation he has strongly denied) is not quoted in the Times‘ first story about Weinstein, but later spoke to the newspaper on the record in follow-up pieces after realizing her settlement over the Weinstein incident did not contain a confidentiality clause.
Since the explosion of the #MeToo movement, McGowan has continued to share her story in interviews and through an E! documentary, Citizen Rose, and memoir Brave. “If I was Reese Witherspoon, would I be treated like I am? The answer is no. But [the press] feels I’m fair game. I think it’s because [Weinstein] paid off the media for 20 years to savage me,” said McGowan, who now resides in London, in a post-#MeToo cover story with The Hollywood Reporter.
On Monday, Bloom told THR in a statement that she made a “colossal mistake” in working with Weinstein. Bloom resigned as Weinstein’s adviser two days after the Times published their first bombshell report detailing decades of sexual-harassment accusations against her client.
“I thank Jodi Kantor, Megan Twohey and Ronan Farrow for forcing me to confront the colossal mistake I made in working for Weinstein two years ago,” says Bloom. “While painful, I learn so much more from my mistakes than my successes. When the first woman went on record accusing him of sexual assault, I immediately resigned and apologized, but that was not enough. My law firm went from 95 percent to 100 percent victim side and that’s where we stay, winning victories for clients against Bill Cosby, Paul Marciano, Bill O’Reilly and many others you’ve heard of.”
The statement continues, “To those who missed my 2017 apology, and especially to the women, I apologize again. I judge others not by their one worst mistake but their lifetime of work. In my case that is over three decades of fighting mostly for the underdogs against the powerful. Because of our many wins, my law firm has grown to on the largest victims’ rights firms in the country. I’m always humbled by the trust that our clients have in our hardworking team and our promise to them is that will continue to fight tirelessly for their rights.”
Weinstein is currently facing a criminal trial on charges of sexual assault and rape. He has previously pleaded not guilty to charges accusing him of raping a woman in 2013 and performing a forcible sex act on a different woman in 2006. In late August, he pleaded not guilty to a new indictment that includes revised charges of predatory sexual assault, causing a judge to delay his trial until early 2020.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day