- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
In the wake of Thursday’s news that Rupert Murdoch filed for divorce from his third wife, Wendi Deng Murdoch, the Facebook page for HBO’s Girls touched on the hot topic with a quote from the show’s second season name-checking Murdoch’s estranged wife.
“I’m so excited that George is coming tonight because, you know, I feel like things are getting more serious with him. You know? And I want my friends to see that I have this handsome, rich boyfriend. And maybe I want to be Wendi Murdoch. Maybe that’s my new thing,” read the message.
The line was said by Hannah’s (Lena Dunham) gay friend and then-roommate Elijah (Andrew Rannells) during the first episode of the second season. At the time, Elijah was presumably dating an older man, George, but viewers didn’t get much of a look into that relationship.
The post seemed to be an attempt at taking advantage of people’s interest in the Murdoch divorce news, but it wasn’t nearly as popular as the page’s other entries, which usually get several thousand likes. The message only garnered 1,164 likes as of Friday morning, more than 24 hours after it was posted. Also, only a few commenters discussed the Murdoch divorce news.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day