- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Russell Crowe and Nicholas Hoult are set to star in True History of the Kelly Gang from director Justin Kurzel (Assassin’s Creed, Macbeth).
George MacKay (Captain Fantastic) and Essie Davis (The Babadook) will also star in the gothic Western, which is based on Peter Carey’s Booker Prize-winning novel of the same name. The story chronicles Ned Kelly (MacKay), one of the world’s greatest outlaws, and the colonial badlands from which he rose.
Vikings star Travis Fimmel and Stranger Things newcomer Dacre Montgomery are also set for the feature from screenwriter Shaun Grant. Rounding out the cast is Sean Keenan, Harry Greenwood, Thomasin McKenzie and Earl Cave.
Liz Watts (Porchlight Films), Hal Vogel (Daybreak Pictures) and Brad Feinstein (Romulus Entertainment) will produce. Peter Carey and David Aukin from Daybreak, Vincent Sheehan from Porchlight and Joseph F. Ingrassia from Romulus Entertainment will serve as executive producers.
Romulus is financing, along with grants from Screen Australia, in association with Film Victoria and Film4. Filming is set to start next year in Australia.
Rocket Science, whose slate includes Karyn Kusama’s Destroyer starring Nicole Kidman and the Willem Dafoe-starrer At Eternity’s Gate, will handle international sales. CAA is representing U.S. rights.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day