- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The ASA has deemed the French fashion house’s spring 2015 ad, which stars 18-year-old model Kiki Willems, as “irresponsible” and banned it from appearing “again in its current form.” The agency decided to uphold a complaint that was filed following the ad’s publication in Elle U.K., citing the “unhealthily underweight” model’s visible ribcage and thin legs as evidence that the ad violated the ASA’s code of responsible advertising.
Saint Laurent has responded in defense of the images — shot by creative director Hedi Slimane in his signature black-and-white, rocker chic aesthetic — and denies that they are “irresponsible.”
Models’ weight has been a subject of concern for many lately, with France’s BMI law and the Danish fashion industry’s independent regulations leading the crusade towards a healthier looking industry. Only time will tell if the U.K.’s efforts make an impact.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day