- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
SANTIAGO DE CHILE – The 8th edition of the Santiago International Film Fest kicked off Friday at the Estacion Mapocho Cultural Center and closes Saturday, Aug. 25. SANFIC will screen 100 films from more than 30 countries, with three main competitions. The International and Chilean comps features 10 films each, and the National Talent Competition for local short films is comprised of 18 shorts from both upcoming and established filmmakers.
This year, the Chilean fest is particularly determined to strengthen its industry side, and so it expanded its Work in Progress section in order to include nine unfinished films from other LatAm countries apart from Chile. Projects from Argentina, Colombia, Costa Rica and Ecuador, will join five local titles. Picked by a selection committee that included Cannes’ Critic’s Week delegate Charles Tesson, the full list of LatAm WIPs is as follows:
– Errata, by Ivan Vescovo (Argentina)
– Genesis Nirvana, by Alejandro Lagos (Chile)
– Gloria, by Sebastian Lelio (Chile)
– I am from Chile, by Gonzalo Diaz (Chile)
– La Gorgona, historias fugadas, by Camilo Botero (Colombia)
– Las niñas Quispe, by Sebastián Sepulveda (Chile)
– Prefiero dormir, by Sergio Castro (Chile)
– Puerto Padre, by Gustavo Fallas (Costa Rica, Mexico)
– Tres, by Anahi Hoeneisen abd Daniel Andrade (Ecuador, Argentina, Germany)
The SANFIC Industry section is also organizing consultancy services regarding distribution and dissemination, for 27 projects in production and post-production stages, will be given by Tribeca Film Institute’s associated programmer Jose Rodriguez, Argentine film journalist and producer Pablo Udenio, and Alexandra Galvis, head of Cine Chileno, bf distribution, and Parallel40 Sur. More activities include conferences and round tables for local industry people.
Exactly one year after the passing of Chilean legendary filmmaker Raul Ruiz, on Sunday, SANFIC will host a LatAm premiere gala of Ruiz’s latest film The Night in Front, which premiered in the last edition of the Director’s Fortnight at Cannes. Together with the film’s producer and stars, special guests to the tribute night include French actor Christian Vadim (son of Roger Vadim and Catherine Deneuve, and star of this and other five films by Ruiz) and Ruiz’s widow, filmmaker Valeria Sarmiento.
The other big event related to Ruiz’s memory is a concert by the Orquesta Usach featuring a selection from the film scores Chilen composer Jorge Arriagada wrote for more than 40 films of Ruiz. A collaborator for renowned directors such as Patricio Guzman, Olivier Assayas, and Barbet Schroeder, Arriaga will be the guest of honor at the concert.
SANFIC is organized by non-profit organization CORPARTES, together with production company STORYBOARD MEDIA, head by Carlos Nuñez and Gabriela Sandoval, Artistic Director and Head of Artistic Production, respectively.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day