- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Sarah Michelle Gellar will make her triumphant return to the television spotlight this fall on the CW’s new series Ringer, in which she’ll play identical twins with different — and dangerous — agendas.
Here are 5 facts you should know about the New York City-born actress who started acting at the age of 6.
1) She’s been off of the small screen for nearly a decade. The star’s fame-making role as Buffy in the WB’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer ended in 2003 after seven seasons. And aside from lending her voice to the Adult Swim cartoon, Robot Chicken, Gellar has stayed away from the tube ever since.
2) Gellar married a co-star. The actress met her hubby, Freddie Prinze Jr. on the set of their 1997 teen slasher filck, I Know What You Did Last Summer, but didn’t start dating until 2000. They also later co-starred in two live-action Scooby-Doo films. The duo were married on September 1, 2002 in Jalisco, Mexico. And while she still goes by Gellar professionally, the actress did legally change her last name to Prinze.
3) Her return to TV was influenced by being a mom. Gellar, who has a 20-month-old daughter, Charlotte Grace Prinze, with Prinze Jr.,said she wanted to be on a TV show again because of the flexible schedule. Instead of traveling to movie sets, the actress wants to be able to be around for her daughter’s milestones. “And nothing offers that more than television,” she explained.
4) The actress got her start on a soap opera. Gellar played Erica Kane’s daughter, Kendall Hart Lang, on All My Children from 1993-95. And, she’ll return to the soap in it’s final season, but not to reprise her former role. “I don’t want to be Kendall, that’s Alicia’s role,” she said, referring to actress Alicia Minshew who currently plays Lang. “I have no idea what I’m going to be doing.
5) She is an Emmy winner. The actress was just 18 when she won a Daytime Emmy in the ‘outstanding younger actress in a drama’ category for playing Kendall Hart in 1995. “Ok what’s my name,” Gellar exclaimed at the start of her acceptance speech. Watch the video below
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day