- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Even before Scarlett Johansson and Colin Jost’s wedding two weeks ago, a leaked “Save the Date!” had signaled that the couple, who met on the set of Saturday Night Live (she as a host, he as a writer and “Weekend Update” co-anchor), would be going the unconventional route for their big event.
The mailers were hand-written on grade school-esque index cards with the explanation, “We’re trying to save money for the wedding.” Turned out they went one step further, generating money for the nonprofit Meals on Wheels, with whom the couple partnered in making their Oct. 29 “Jost Married,” Staten Island Ferry-featuring announcement on Instagram.
“Their wedding wish is to help make a difference for vulnerable older adults,” read the post, which, per the organization that delivers meals to needy elderly, helped generate $10,000 in the couple’s honor.
The Hollywood Reporter has also learned that in lieu of a minister, Johansson and Jost kept it in the SNL family by having one of the show’s veteran writer-producers, Steve Higgins, serve as the officiant.
Reps for Johansson, Jost and Higgins had no comment when contacted by THR.
This story first appeared in the Nov. 18 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day