- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Ronald Miscavige Sr., the estranged father of controversial Scientology leader David Miscavige, has written a memoir, publisher St. Martin’s Press announced. Ruthless: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige, and Me will publish on May 3.
St. Martin’s touts it as the “riveting” and “revealing story of David Miscavige’s childhood and his path to the head seat of the Church of Scientology told through the eyes of his father” and “the only book to examine the origins of Scientology’s current leader.”
Ron Miscavige and his family joined the church in 1970 when David was about 10. By 16, David was a member of founder L. Ron Hubbard’s inner circle, and he became the de facto head of the religion after Hubbard died in 1986. Today, David Miscavige is best-known to the public at large for his close relationship to Tom Cruise.
Ron left the church in 2012. The Los Angeles Times reported that David spied on his father after he left the church. A particularly memorable story had David telling a private investigator not to help Ron, whom he believed was suffering from a heart attack. “David told him that if it was Ron’s time to die, to let him die and not intervene in any way,” the paper reported. Scientology representatives have denied the story.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day