- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
In clips that weren’t shown during 60 Minutes, Penn shares his thoughts about the circumstances surrounding El Chapo’s capture and reveals why he wants to talk to him again.
The actor, who interviewed El Chapo for an article in Rolling Stone while the drug lord was on the run, said he was “shocked” that El Chapo was captured alive just six months after escaping.
“I was asked did I think he’d let himself be taken alive. My impression was that he would not … I was shocked,” said Penn. “I didn’t expect him to be captured this quickly. But I did expect that one day I’d hear about a big shootout.”
When asked what conclusions he drew from the Mexican government letting El Chapo live, Penn said, “It probably means that despite the incredible corruption, despite the things that I have told you that I feel about the Mexican government, that there’s still more good people than bad.”
In a second clip that didn’t air during 60 Minutes, Penn said he wants to talk to El Chapo again.
“I hope to talk to him again, under whatever circumstances,” he said. “While this article had its focus and its intention, I’m interested in asking more.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day