- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Sean Stone, son of controversial director Oliver Stone, converted to Islam in Iran on Tuesday.
The ceremony was held in Isfahan, the third largest city in the country, where Stone — a 27-year-old filmmaker following in his father’s foosteps — is shooting a documentary.
Stone, who made cameos in a handful of his dad’s movies as a child, is now a Shiite Muslim with the chosen name, Ali, according to reports.
“The conversion to Islam is not abandoning Christianity or Judaism, which I was born with,” he told news outlet AFP, via Yahoo News. “It means I have accepted Mohammad and other prophets.”
He did not give details on why he converted.
Stone’s divorced parents, Oliver and Elizabeth (the director’s second wife), are Jewish and Christian, respectively. The pair, who spit up in 1993, also have a younger son, Michael Stone.
Oliver Stone married Sun-jung Jung in 1996, and the couple have a teen daughter, Tara Stone. The JFK and Natural Born Killers helmer is a practicing Buddhist, and converted to the religion as an adult.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day