- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Focus Features released the second official trailer for Boy Erased on Tuesday.
The film is based on Garrard Conley’s memoir of the same name and follows a boy, Jared Eamons (Lucas Hedges), who is sent to a conversion therapy program after coming out as gay to his parents, a pastor (Russell Crowe) and his wife (Nicole Kidman).
Crowe’s character speaks over the opening clips of the trailer. He says to his son, “As far as I can tell, we’ve only got one God-given right, that is when a man and a woman come together, they may create life.”
The trailer combines scenes of Jared at home, college and the program, including a scene where he confronts his parents and confirms their suspicions. “I imagine that God and the devil are having a bet over me,” he muses. Hedges, who starred in Lady Bird and Mid90s, also will appear in the upcoming Ben Is Back, alongside Julia Roberts.
Director Joel Edgerton also stars in the movie as the head of the conversion program, Victor Sykes. Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea, who previously acted in 2017’s Baby Driver, plays a program employee as well.
Troye Sivan, Joe Alwyn, Xavier Dolan and Cherry Jones round out the cast. Boy Erased is set for a Nov. 2 release.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day