- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
COLOGNE, Germany – Senator Film has scooped up David O. Russell‘s buzz-heavy comedy romance Silver Linings Playbook for the German market. Senator’s deal with The Weinstein Company, which is bowing the film stateside and selling it international, comes after Silver Linings‘ world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival, where it scooped the Audience Award.
The feature stars Bradley Cooper as a former high school teacher suffering from bipolar disorder trying to regain his bearings. Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence heads an all-star supporting cast that also includes Robert De Niro, Julia Stiles, Chris Tucker and Jacki Weaver.
Silver Linings‘ strong Toronto debut and the Audience prize – an honor previously won by Oscar champions The King’s Speech, Slumdog Millionaire and American Beauty – put it in prime contention for the upcoming awards season.
Russell’s mix of drama and comedy, however, could prove a harder sale overseas, where the director of Three Kings and The Fighter has less box office cache.
Senator also snatched Eran Riklis‘ Zaytoun for German release. The drama stars Stephen Dorff as an Israeli fighter pilot shot down over Lebanon who is forced to befriend a Palestinian refugee to make his way back home.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day