- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Serena Williams, 35, and Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian, 33, are engaged.
Naturally, the couple shared the happy news via Reddit first. The tennis star slash fashion designer posted an illustration of the couple (done up as Reddit aliens, of course) on her verified account that shows Ohanian on one knee proposing. She captioned the image “I said yes.”
Williams added a poetic anecdote about the charming proposal story to accompany the illustration, describing how Ohanian surprised her with a trip to Rome, where the couple first met. “At the same table we first met by chance. This time he made it not by chance. But by choice,” she wrote. “Down on one knee. He said 4 words. And I said yes.”
In the comments section, Ohanian added, “And you made me the happiest man on the planet.” The couple first began dating in 2015, according to E! News, and have since kept their relationship relatively private.
The decision to share the news via Ohanian’s platform is reminiscent of Snapchat co-founder Evan Spiegel and supermodel Miranda Kerr’s engagement announcement earlier this year, when Kerr posted a photo of the couple’s Bitmoji avatars (which are often used on Snapchat as stickers) showing Spiegel popping the question.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day