- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan‘s Happy New Year had a record opening weekend in India, collecting $17.9 million (1.08 billion rupees), according to Khan’s banner Red Chillies Entertainment, which produced the film.
Happy New Year was one of the most anticipated releases of the year and opened during the busy and festive Diwali (Festival of Lights) holiday weekend.
The musical crime action film also stars actress Deepika Padukone and actors Abhishek Bachchan and Boman Irani. It was directed by Farah Khan. Set in India and Dubai, it is about a crew that enters a global dance competition to get close to diamonds they plan to steal.
The director and star have worked together on earlier films, which also performed strongly, such as last year’s runaway hit Chennai Express from Disney India.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day