- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The singer, who provided the quadrennial tournament’s last official song Waka Waka (Let’s Hear it For Africa) when it kicked off in South Africa in 2010 has corralled the power of social media, taking to Instagram to call on her fans to “Dare to dream” ahead of the global soccer jamboree.
The Colombian singer — whose boyfriend Gerard Pique is on the Spanish national soccer team — asked her three million Instagram followers: “Are you daring to dream about your country’s World Cup success? Send us a flag-based selfie using #daretodream plus the country code!”
With more than 65 percent of Instagram’s 200 million monthly active users based outside of the United States, there have been a flood of posts for the cause whose “goal” is to unite the world around the global sport.
Columbia and Spain will likely feature highly on Shakira’s list of dreams.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day