- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
China’s Alibaba has announced that it will launch an online video streaming service in the country in the next two months.
At the Shanghai Film Festival on Sunday, Alibaba digital chief Patrick Liu said the new service would be called TBO (Tmall Box Office) and will look to bring in content from outside China as well as promote in-house productions. Liu said that 90 percent of TBO’s content will be paid for — either through monthly subscriptions or on a pay-per-view basis — with the remaining 10 percent available for free.
Complicating the launch of TBO is Alibaba’s 16.5 percent stake in Youku Tudou, China’s biggest streaming video company and one of the most aggressive movers in securing exclusive content for its own platform.
TBO also launches at a time when all of China’s giant Internet companies are getting into the movie and television streaming business and ahead of Netflix’s expected entrance in the country. The likes of Baidu, Tencent, iQiyi and Sohu are scrambling to acquire content from both home and abroad, as well as produce content in a bid to attract consumers to their fledgling online video services.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day