- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“Shari is going to continue to advocate for what she believes to be in the best interests of Viacom shareholders,” read the statement.
Longtime Sumner Redstone confidant Dauman takes on the added title, while Sumner Redstone becomes chairman emeritus. The board offered Shari Redstone the role of non-executive chairman, but she declined and will continue in her role as non-executive vice chair.
Shari Redstone had on Wednesday suggested that Dauman shouldn’t become Viacom chairman, saying no trustee of her father’s trust and no one “otherwise intertwined in Redstone family matters” should lead the CBS and Viacom boards. Shari and Dauman both sit on the seven-person trust board, which will assume control of Sumner Redstone’s holdings whenever he is no longer able to do so himself.
In line with that, David Faber on CNBC reported that Sumner Redstone voted in favor of Dauman as chairman, while Shari Redstone voted against him.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day