- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Simon Cowell is adamant that he has “no interest” in returning to American Idol, though he has been approached to appear in ABC’s reboot, according to the former judge.
Speaking to Extra’s Terri Seymour on Thursday, Cowell said: “I was asked to do it, and the answer is no.”
He added: “I have no interest. My memories are when we first started. It was a different time with Randy, Ryan and Paula. You can’t re-create that.”
Idol was Cowell’s breakthrough in America, with the British record producer’s acerbic wit and harsh putdowns a mainstay of the original series. Cowell’s current TV commitments may have made it difficult for him to return to Idol anyhow, occupying as he does the judge’s chair on America’s Got Talent, Britain’s Got Talent and The X Factor UK.
Last week, ABC snapped up rights to the storied talent competition that gave the world such singing sensations as Jennifer Hudson, Kelly Clarkson and Jordin Sparks. The show, formerly at Fox, ran for 15 seasons until it went off the air in April 2016.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day