- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The singing nun, who earlier this year became a viral sensation, on Thursday night won The Voice of Italy, which airs on public broadcaster RAI.
Sister Cristina Scuccia‘s performance of Alicia Keys hit ” No One” earlier this year during the audition period of the singing competition drew more than 4 million online views within two days and has since reached more than 50 million views.
The 25-year-old nun of the Ursuline Sisters of the Holy Family also had success with her blind audition on the show. Her performance turned all four chairs, as coaches Raffaella Carra, J-Ax, Piero Pelu and Noemi were almost moved to tears.
On Thursday night, Scuccia, dressed in her traditional habit and wearing a crucifix, beat out rocker Giacomo Voli. Coached by J-Ax, an Italian rapper, she drew more than 62 percent of the audience vote.
The nun from Milan won a recording contract with Universal Music. During the show, she was also seen performing with Ricky Martin and Kylie Minogue, as well as singing “What A Feeling” with her fellow nuns dancing in the audience.
The singing nun earlier this year said she was inspired to go on the show by Pope Francis‘ call for people to “get out onto the streets” for their faith.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day